- 1 lb self-raising flour
- 1 teaspoon mixed spice
- 2 teaspoons dried ginger
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 4 ozs brown sugar
- 1 cup golden syrup
- 6 ozs butter
- 2 ozs crystallised ginger, finely chopped
- 4 ozs sultanas
- 2 eggs, separated
- 1 cup buttermilk
- Sieve the flour and spices into a bowl.
- Melt the butter and syrup.
- Separate the eggs. Beat the yolks with the sugar and add to the milk.
- Add the melted butter and syrup.
- Pour into the flour and mix well.
- Add the crystallised ginger and sultanas.
- Beat the egg whites till firm and fold into mixture.
- Pour into a greased 12-inch yorkshire tin (or two loaf tins as I did) and bake at 350*F for about 45 minutes.
- Test with a skewer. Cool on a rack and cut.